Menu

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Project #8

 JUnk dRawEr aDveNt CaleNdar
artist Paula Cheney 
The Junk Drawer Advent Calendar is just that...stuff that I found digging around in the drawers in my workroom and a cupboard in my hallway.  Hence the kooky stuff like an old silver ladle that holds a sweet little bird, a small plate and some vintage clip-on earrings.
I love to collect bits of junk so this was the perfect way for me to create something fun without leaving the house to buy something new...of course there's always online shopping! And you know I have my secret weapon (7gypsy product). 
I love the way it turned out!  I have it sitting on a small black typing table with a large suitcase on top.  It is sitting right next to the Christmas tree so at night the glitter shines with just the tree lights on.  There was a point when I thought I might give it away but now I am not sure I can part with it!  And it may stay up till spring like people who never take their Christmas lights down.
(click on a picture to see it larger)
I used these 7gypsy products to create the calendar (along with a lot of junk):
Number 6-vintage Measurement paper (7gypsies no longer makes it but if you are a long time fan of 7G you probably have it in your stash)
Number 7 and 8- clear stamp-Nottinghill script stamp background (love this stamp!) 
Number 8-chipboard-Coveralls for the window
Number 12- metal page edge  
Number 2, 21&15-clearstamp Calais as background but used differently in each.
 Number 17-chipboard crown with glitter added (Stampendous-Halo glitter-extra fine gold ...love this glitter, it's a mix of gold and silver so it gives a vintage feel to any project.  I buy mine at Beverly's here in CA.
 Number 18-chipboard letters with gold paint (Adirondack metallics acrylic paint-gold), Venice 6 x 6 paper pack...fabulous script on the back of the orange paper.
 Number 23- clear stamp numbers -pin tag, clear stamp Venice-background, Princesca crystals (also used in #9),and  chipboard swirls.
 The board is made from a ceiling tile found at Home Depot and a piece of burlap.  You can find instructions to make the calendar here.
Merry Christmas!

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg I love love love it!!! What size of board is your background I have to make one -also to keep up all year round! thanks for a terrific idea. Darlene

Paula said...

Darlene,
Thanks for the comment! The ceiling tile is 24 x 40" and the tags are 6 1/4 x 3 1/4".
You can email me directly with any other questions at paula@2gypsygirls.com

Susan said...

Paula this is absolutely beautiful I love every little detail!

Jodi C. said...

WOW!!! I LOVE this idea, amazing!!! Thanks for the measurements on the ceiling tile and tags Paula!!! I don't know how you came up with this idea, you are awesome!!!

LadyTulip said...

What a great idea ~ And using a ceiling tile, what a hoot! ~ Who woulda thot one of those would make such a fabulous Christmas Display! ~ Bet if you told somebody working in a home improvement store what you used the tile for, they wouldn't believe you!

L.

Jeanne said...

AMAZING! I love all the details.
xo
jeanne

Tammy Stamp This! said...

gorgeous piece! I LOVE IT!!

wendela said...

wow!! this is stunning!! I want this in my house !!

carol wingert said...

Paula, my friend, you outdid yourself yet again! What a fabulous project.
Merry Christmas! Hugs, Carol

Rhonda Van Ginkel said...

Beyond completely fabulous! I'm in total love with this project!!!

Thanks so much for the gorgeous inspiration -- yumm-o!!

Anonymous said...

This is an AWESOME PROJECT--beautiful--LOVE the bird in the serving spoon! So clever! Can't wait to try it!

Penny in Missouri

Snooze said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I was drooling at it as I read the post ... and there are the instructions at the bottom. Thank you so much for that. Now I just have this idea kicking around in my end ... I'm thinking of how I can put it together so I can turn a tag over each day.

Isabelle said...

Das ist absolut großartig!!

And for "not Germans"

This is absolutly terrific!!!!


Greetings from Isabelle

Tracy Dyar said...

Love, love, love this! I want one!

Holly - Wild Wyoming Art Cafe' said...

WOW! This is just fabulous! I love all the little details, the vintage feel. It's just incredible!

Paper Dolls said...

This is wonderful!! I am going to have make one but I am going to make it a calendar...

Nannie of 3 said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!! Lucky me, I have the ceiling tiles in my basement left from the building of my s/b room. Love it, thanks for sharing!

Karen from MI said...

WOW! I KNOW that I'd have a VERY HARD time parting with this work of art! I LOVE IT and can see all of the FINE DETAILS and LOVE that went into creating it. Thanks so much for the INSPIRATION. I think that I'm hooked on 7 Gypsies, too. Love, Karen

nomorelittlemonkeys said...

This is fantastic! I absolutely love it!!!

KindredEsprit said...

Phenomenal!!! Thanks for taking so many great close-ups and sharing your instructions!Ceiling tile! Who knew? I can totally see myself flipping each tag over to the front as the days near Christmas. =)

Wilma said...

Wow, love every beautiful Gypsie tags! Thanks for the idea!

MichelleB said...

Absolutely stunning! It's a feast for the eyes..always something new to discover when you look at it! Thank you for sharing it!

Jeanne Nelson said...

Awesome project, Paula!!! Love all the Gypsy Gunk!!! Thanks for the shared inspiration and ideas! Merry Christmas Season ~~ Jeanne Nelson in NC

Scrapfaire said...

A ceiling tile!!! Never thought to use on of those!!! Thanks for the lovely project!! Come to think of it, this would make a fab perpetual calendar idea!!!

Cynthia said...

This is a GORGEOUS project...thanks so much for the great inspiration...looking forward to the next days projects too...what fun!

Margaret Kane Ward said...

What a lovely project; will definitely try something like this next year!!

linda said...

Love this! So homey looking! I have to try this one for next year - or maybe another ocassion!

-linda

fairyrocks said...

FANTASTIC!! Just beautiful.
I SO DO have a drawer of treasures and trinkets I love too much too let go of. What a wonderful way to display them!!

Teresa McFayden said...

Beautiful!! I want this!! Now. Please Santa!?

Barbara Jean said...

This is awesome!!

Came over from Creative Home Expressions, and soooo glad she posted about you

cannot wait to go see the rest of your blog.

think you've got a new follower here.

blessings

barbara jean