Menu

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentines treat box & tag 
by kerry lynn yeary
I have always been a big believer in handmade gifts and I think on Valentine's Day there is nothing better than receiving sweets wrapped in a beautiful handmade package, especially a vintage style package. And, if you add a handmade gift tag, I guarantee your recipient will adore the time and love you put into making them something handmade.
To create the tag I first made a paper rosette with the Barcelona collection paper Sabadell pattern paper by cutting a strip 1.5" x 12" and then pleating it accordion style about every .25 inches.
Once your paper strip is completely pleated join the two ends so you have a pleated circle and then get a scrap piece of paper and punch a 1" circle and add heavy duty tacky tape like a ThermOWeb-Super Tape {or you can use your glue gun} to the circle.
Push the pleated circle down along the top edge so the center pleats meet and form a pleated flat circle. Then attach to the scrap circle. The important step here is to use a heavy duty adhesive so the circle stays shut. Simple adhesive like a tape runner will eventually give and your paper rosette will fall apart.
To complete the tag I stamped the Venice ledger column stamp {it's the long stamp to the bottom left corner of the Venice stamp set} on a large manila tag with a starlite black {gray metallic} brilliance ink pad from Tsukineko. I stamped two layers to make a "crosshatch" pattern by first stamping diagonally to the left and the switching to stamping diagonally to the right. Then I layered a extra large milkcap from my vintage stash of goodies, added the paper rosette to the top and then added the sweet vintage valentines piece from the vintage ephemera set {i trimmed down to only the cute figure}. The edges were distressed just a little by bending along the edge upwards for a slight weathered edge look. Lastly I added a punched mini heart {from the red coupon vintage ephemera piece} that I stapled to the boy right over the heart already on the card.
The inside of the box has a piece of vellum that I trimmed to fit and then I layered vintage paper circles and some more mini hearts that I punched from the rest of the red couple vintage ephemera piece and other random scraps of 7gypsies paper I had left from other projects. I added the four chocolate bordeaux truffles {YUM!} in sweet silver foil candy wrappers.
Then simply fold over the vellum and seal with one remaining red coupon mini heart. It really is those little added touches that will thrill your recipients. promise!
 
One the outside of the box I trimmed more of the Sabadell paper and a piece of vintage music and tied it all up with some seam binding. To get the crumpled look with the ribbon simply scrunch it up in your hands for a few minutes and the the heat from your palm will help "set" the crinkles.
Now simply tie on your beautiful tag and give to the one you adore.

Happy Love Day!
xo - kl

13 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This is so pretty! I think you could use this for a birthday as well.

Connie K. said...

I love this..I know ..I always say that..so many great ideas...

bethchien said...

sooooooooooooo awesome, KL! Just beautiful!

Mari said...

gorgeous!!!! Handmade gifts are the best, even though I sadly never take the time to make them...
Thank you for the inspiration!!

Rachel Carlson said...

so THAT'S what the chocolates were for. *sigh* - um yeah, i'll send you my address right away. ♥ it kerry lynn!

Teresa said...

Adorable Kerry! Send one to me!! xoxo

Diana Martin said...

Such a gorgeous handmade gift, very inspirational! xo

christie said...

Gorgeous! I love this!

Blue Green Arts said...

i absolutely Love this! Thanks so much for sharing!

Jill said...

Where is that cute little Valentine clown from? It is such a cute vintage element. Is it by chance a 7Gypsies thing I could have missed!?

Anonymous said...

the valentine clown is from the Vintage ephemera pack #11084

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing.....such a cute project idea!

ranjini said...

This is just darling! I love every little detail - thanks for sharing!